Bottoms Up! Why You Should Create a Signature Cocktail, Or Two, for Your Next Event
The event is set, whether it’s a wedding, engagement party, bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, milestone birthday, whatever the celebration, consider creating a signature cocktail, or two, to make your special occasion even more memorable. Adding these types of personal touches lends a unique twist that will have your guests talking long after “last call.”
When deciding on what type of cocktail you’d like to create there are a variety of factors to take into consideration. The best place to start is by looking at what you enjoy. Are you a lover of wine, whisky, vodka, or maybe you prefer a cold brew. Coming up with ideas can be tricky so if you find that you’re struggling you can always ask your caterer or wedding/event planner to help out.
If it’s a wedding you’re planning, why not create two signature cocktails, one that represents both the bride and the groom. There is no right or wrong way to go about the process. Remember, it’s all about adding another layer of personalization to your party. To help you get started here are some fun tips and ideas to get you thinking.
- A catchy name – If your drink of choice doesn’t already have a fun name, come up with one. Keep it simple, creative, and witty. Consider taking inspiration from a memorable moment or incorporating the theme of your event into the name of your signature drink.
- Presentation – This is everything; you want to go for the WOW factor. From the glass it’s served in, to the garnishes used, these are the touches your guests will be talking about. If you’re planning a rustic wedding, why not serve your drink in a mason jar? If beer is your drink of choice, instead of serving it in a stein, think of creating a fun label to put over your favorite brew.
- Color Scheme – Whether you’re hosting an engagement party, bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, milestone birthday, or wedding, color always comes into play. Consider the dresses you choose for your bridesmaids, the table linens, flowers, even the decor of your catering hall or restaurant. For example, if your color of choice is red, think red wine, sangria, cherries, pomegranates. At Violets Cellar, the in-house sommelier is available to work with you on choosing just the right wine that will comprise your favorite cocktail.
- A twist on the classic cocktail – If you’re having trouble coming up with a unique idea why not put a spin on one of the classics. Talk to your bartender(s) about swapping out some of the traditional ingredients in a classic cocktail with something fresh, that way you’ll be putting a new twist on your favorite drink.
- Consider the season – Think about the season you’re hosting your party and tie that into the cocktail. If your wedding, engagement or birthday party is going to take place in the colder months, what about a spiked hot chocolate bar? Or how about a margarita snow cone? Two classic childhood favorites with an adult upgrade. If you’re planning a bridal shower brunch consider something refreshing like a lemonade or pina colada mimosa. These two options would pair nicely in the warmer months and with locations like The Stonehouse at Clove Lakes that offers an outdoor, park-like setting, complete with a gazebo and waterfront view, there’s a ton of inspiration to draw from.
- Weave in some history – If it’s a wedding or engagement party you’re planning, how about incorporating a little bit of history; do you have a favorite place you like to visit or was there something specific you drank on your first date? If you love to vacation by the beach, think pina colada. If Florida holds a special meaning, incorporate orange juice. If you’re throwing a milestone birthday party, what about serving your favorite cocktail from back in the day?
The choices are endless when it comes to creating your signature drink; just remember, think outside the box, let it speak to who you are, and drink responsibly!